TAGBILARAN CITY – Revelers are warned over firecracker-related incidents during this Christmas season and the coming New Year, Dr. Reymoses Cabagnot, provincial health officer, said in an interview. This came as the hospitals are placed on “white alert” during this season when potential incidents caused by firecracker explosion are expected.
- Cabagnot said that the white alert is like “signal no. 1” when typhoon is forthcoming to caution the public. It means that hospitals are placed to be always prepared, such as emergency medicines are fully available, stocked at the emergency room. But Dr. Cabagnot said the best way is to avoid using firecrackers in celebrating Christmas or New Year so no harm could inflict on them. This year’s drive dubbed “Mahalaga ang Buhay, Iwasan ang Paputok,” is being launched by the Department of Health.
In Bohol, there were four firecracker-related incidents recorded last year, DOH said. Firecrackers, such as wwitis, piccolo, sparkler, tirangle, whistle bomb, watusi, and fountain are commonly used in Cenral Visayas, DOH said.
“Records show that in the December 21 to January 2 period, injuries related to holiday celebration in Central Visayas increased by 18 percent in 2013 with 99 cases compared to the 84 cases in 2012,” report said.
Bohol had four (4) injuries; Cebu province, 58 cases; Negros Oriental and Siquijor, one case apiece, DOH said.
The town of Dauis has recorded three (3) of these cases and Talibon and Ubay, one apiece, it said.