TAGBILARAN CITY – Former Panglao Mayor Doloreich Dumaluan, who is a doctor of medicine by profession, is unwavering in pushing for federalism even as he also endorsed Davao City Rodrigo Duterte to lead the country. In an interview with DYTR yesterday, Dumaluan said that it’s about time to change course and get rid of imperial Manila who controls practically the local governance in the country. He said there are more advantages in adopting federalism than the present set-up can offer. And probably, the first step is the adoption of the Local Government Code of 1991 as put forward by former Senator Aquilino “Nene” Q. Pimentel, Jr. and eventually adopted by the present local government units in entire country.
But this is not enough, he said. To put his message across, federalism is like a family. The parents should let their children independent when time comes for them to be so. The groupings of provinces should be independent from Manila. Each grouping, like state in USA, will run their own affairs, tapping their own natural resources, putting up their own legislature independent, and impose its own taxation scheme, without the control of the national government like the present set up, he said.
There’ll may be a thing or two in common among the province/state, such as the national defense, currency, foreign affairs, and so on, that should be controlled by the federal government. Under the federal set up, Dumaluan firmly believes that corruption is checked, no more bureaucratic red tape, no more pork barrel system, migration can be avoided and development is scattered in rural areas. Since the federal state or grouping of provinces is already in control of the situation, taxes collected by the “state” is shared with only about 20% goes to the federal government. The remaining 80% may be a whooping source of income for a federal province to invest in various projects and programs for the good of its constituency.
One advantage of the federal state or province is that it “can negotiate directly” with other foreign lending institution without interference or necessarily coursing through the national government. This federal system is like the thrust of the Bangsa Moro, saying if the propsed law creating such, it would be good for Mindanao. Meanwhile, Dumaluan said he is for Duterte to run for president in the future so that Mindanaoan could have a chance to lead this country. He said that Duterte is being “endorsed by then President Fidel Ramos.” But he did not elaborate.