TAGBILARAN CITY .Gov. Edgar M. Chatto yesterday announced that all classes of public and private elementary and secondary schools in the
entire province are suspended today (Dec. 5). The declaration of no classes in all schools was in anticipation of the onslaught of typhoon Ruby though the province may not be directly hit by the typhoon (international name: Hagupit). This surfaced following a brief huddle with Bohol Schools Division
superintendent Dr. Wilfreda Bongalos during the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council (PDRRMC) meeting presided over by Chatto held
at the governor’s mansion yesterday.
But the council left the suspension of classes in tertiary level to the
decision of the schools concerned in the province and this city.
Bongalos said that some municipalities through their local chief executives
(LCEs) had already declared no classes in their respective turfs yesterday,
like the towns of Loay and Sagbayan. She added that the scheduled literary
and musical activity of the DepEd has been postponed.
The council meeting was briefed on the status of typhoon ?Ruby.? (*please
see separate story in this paper)*.
The council also sets into motion the preparedness mechanisms necessary,
like relief operation, (such as packing of food supplies), search and
rescue operations by the different national and local agencies and
The governor wanted a ?zero casualty.? ?Mas maayong manobra ang preparation
kay sa makuwang,? he stressed. He said that based on what transpired during
the onslaught of ?Queenie? last week, coastal areas especially those struck
by ?wind wave? must be monitored.
The Bohol offices of Department of Public Works and Highways I, II and III
said through their representative to the meeting that quick response teams
have been reactivated and ready for deployment. DPWH said that all their
personnel shall be available all the time when needed.
Provincial Engr. Gabino Redulla said that his office is readying clearing
teams that are on alert and private contractors may also be tapped for the
Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) with its counterpart
Provincial Social Welfare and Development Office (PSWDO) have already
started packing food packs. The provincial National Food Authority (NFA)
led by Peng Evasco, made assurance that there?s enough inventory of staple
Philippine Coast Guard reported that even without PAG-ASA?s typhoon signals
being hoisted, it can cancel sea trips when necessary or high waves are
Hospitals run by the provincial government are on ?white alert,? Dr.
Sodusta said. ?White Alert? refers to all personnel are on standby in the
event of typhoon hit the province.
As a preemptive move, the council also decided to deploy relief/rescue
teams in advance, giving priority to the islands in the northern part of
the province, the governor said. (rvo)
*Pic – Gov. Edgar Chatto (right) presides over the PDRRMC meeting Thursday
with Vice-Gov. Concepcion Lim.