PRES. CARLOS P. GARCIA, Bohol– Thousands of people took refuge in the towns of Jagna and this island-municipality in anticipation of the onslaught of typhoon “Ruby,” reports reaching the Bohol News Today bared. Officials of this island-town won’t take the typhoon, if ever it slams the province, sitting down, even as more than 2,000 abandoned their homes and headed to the mainland, Mayor Tesalonica BoyBoy said. But for PAG-ASA officer-in-charge Narci Cantor said in vernacular over radio interview yesterday that “Bohol is now safe” as he thanked God for “Ruby” (international name: Hagupit) appeared to be recurving its path that may landfall today in northern Samar or Bicol region. Officials, whose town may be the typhoon path, gathered as early as Thursday of last week their respective Municipal Disaster Risk Reduction Management Councils (MDRRMC) to map out preemptive moves and reactivate their “preparedness mechanisms” for any eventuality. Mayor Boyboy said in phone interview that she now finds it difficult to sustain more than two thousand evacuees in three evacuation centers she set up earlier. She said that islanders from the island-barangays Gaus, Lapinig and Butan trooped to the evacuation centers — central elementary schools, church and gym — for three days already. But some hard-headed island residents refused to leave their homes in island of Butan apparently for safety of their properties. Now they’re asking for help since they ran out of food supply, the mayor said.
She said that it would be hard to send them supply since big waves and wind started to pound the seas as of this writing. And all sea travels are prohibited, she said.
Added to this headache is that some islanders from island of Dawahon, Leyte preferred to take refuge in CPG for safety than going to nearby town of Bato, Leyte, the mayors said.
She also expressed fears of their health and sanitation that may aggravate the situation as they stay in evacuation centers for more days. She said she is worry the children might be affected with sickness as it’s commonplace in evacuation centers.
In Jagna town, Mayor Fortunato Abrenilla, for his part, said in phone interview he won’t let his people be complacent. Learning from typhoon “Queenie” that heavily damaged fishing villages and scores of private houses ruined, the mayor said they’re now ready if ever “Ruby” passed this eastern town.
And everything seems to be in place even as hundreds of his constituents in low lying and coastal areas already evacuated to high grounds in barangay Faraon and in other safe areas.
He said he personnaly manned the MDRRMC command center at the municipal hall building, which he transferred to higher ground of barangay Canjulao apparently for safety.
He said search and rescue teams are already prepared of any eventuality while thousands of food packs courtesy of his administration and from the provincial government have been distributed for three days already since Thursday evening.
In barangay manga, Tagbilaran City, chairperson Leda Saco said she and her people are prepared in the event the typhoon hit this city.
She said she evacuated38 families or 213 persons from purok Bonbon, situated in a low-lying mangrove areas. They’re now staying at Manga Elementary School for three days already. Every classroom with comfort room and water supply is jampacked with four to six families.
She said that she prepared other evacuation centers in the church and high school buildings. The evacuees, she said, are supplied with food packs given by the city government.
Lorena Bago, 26, and Erna Jimenez, 23, both married and residents here said that they’re alright they evacuated early since do not want what they experienced when “Quneenie” hit their place in mangrove flats flooded by seawater at the height of the typhoon last week.